Thursday, December 10, 2009

World Understanding 101

   I was watching a documentary the other day (a phrase that sometimes makes my friends cry for help) about plants, from the series of BBC Life (really good btw)... and one segment showed a plant in a dense forest with little light reaching the ground, that could hook on other plants and climb so it can reach the canopy. While I had seen this before, it made me realize that if you observe this kind of behaviour in plants - organisms without a brain or any signs of intelligence, at least the kind you'd expect in their animal counterparts - then... how could you not expect this kind of behaviour in animals and ultimately... humans ? Could it be that intelligence is not some isolated property, but something that is situated in the world.. something that emerges out of complex systems ?
   These kind of thoughts go through my head sometimes, don't ask me why.. it might be some evolutionary trait to understand the world better and trust me, that's a good thing! Many people don't even bother these days. I think we should introduce that as a new science class in schools: "World Understanding 101". Teach the basics.. like, you know.. that our planet is 4.3 billion years old going around our sun which is a star, just like any other star out there, only different in size; or that all animals that have a spine are called vertebrates and they all evolved from a single fish species that lived 525 million years ago; or that Walter himself dabbled in pacifism once.. not in 'Nam of course.
   So I guess this is what I'll blog about, sciency stuff... and don't get me started on religion! Do you know those people that say "oh and don't get me started on {topic}" and even before you've had a chance to answer, they start talking about {topic}? Well I'm not one of them!



4 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff. The world has become too convenient for most people to actually bother to try and improve it, unless they actually have something to gain from it personally. Which is why I admire what so many scientists and others are trying to achieve by improving all sorts of areas of science, from medicine to travel, regardless of if they really need it themselves. I hope that makes some sense!

    Oh, and religion sucks balls. But don't say it too loud, we wouldn't want to upset God. And lies make baby Jesus cry, so don't talk about evolution as though it's fact! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if you think evolution is not a fact but just lies, what is your version of our story then ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got me all wrong dude, I DO believe that evolution is a fact! Sarcasm in text is sometimes hard to detect, so I'm sorry if you misunderstood me, it's my fault.

    I put the smiley face at the end of the sentence in order to make it a bit more clear... but obviously I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sorry, I didn't get that.. no worries! As I always say, irony travels hard through the internet, especially on touchy subjects :)

    ReplyDelete